SlashDB celebrates all things data related, including marketing strategies based on data collection and analysis. The core of Big Data is the careful collection and analysis of data that helps to expose trends that can be leveraged to produce products with incredibly broad appeal. An excellent (and extremely popular) example of the power of Big Data is how the minds behind Stranger Things leveraged the power of data to ensure that Stranger Things was a hit before it was even released.
The Staggering Success of Stranger Things
Netflix is famous for logging every minute of every show, documentary, and movie that you watch on your account. Netflix gathers information at an incredibly granular level, tracking the exact second you stop watching a show, as well as the number of episodes you binge watch in a row – noting the day and time for good measure. Netflix has been collecting these minute details on viewers since it started streaming in 2007 and currently touts 75 million subscribers. The amount of data they have collected and studied has made them leading experts in viewership trends.
Netflix’s knowledge of viewership habits is immensely powerful. After studying viewership data for more than a decade they know what people from widely varying backgrounds enjoy watching. This infinitesimal knowledge is what drove the success of Stranger Things – from concept to casting to marketing.
The Marketing Strategy Behind Stranger Things
The marketing for Stranger Things was completely data-driven. Netflix abandoned traditional marketing techniques such as commercials, paper-ads, or billboards in favor of targeting subscribers at an individual level. With its massive amount of data on each subscriber, Netflix already knew which viewers would be interested in the show. As soon as viewers Netflix thought would be interested logged in to their accounts, they saw Stranger Things pop up. Viewers that Netflix thought would be especially interested in Stranger Things received an email announcing the show.
Netflix’s data on viewership gave them the ability to predict that Stranger Things would be a colossal success. Understanding the full potential of the show allowed Netflix to plan for a potentially viral hit – planning that payed off in dividends – Stranger Things was one of the most watched shows in 2016 and 2017.
Using SlashDB for Your Own Data-Driven Marketing
At SlashDB, we understand that marketing is an art that greatly benefits from the science of Big Data. APIs such as SlashDB create an efficient and in-depth method for data collection and organization. SlashDB helps extract highly specific data and expose real-time data for more precise and up-to-date predictions of user preferences, habits, and trends. Take a look at SlashDB and Data Analysis for a real-life case study on data analysis conducted on data extracted from SlashDB API.
Preference, prediction, personalization, and promotion are keys to successful marketing. These items are best addressed by understanding your users at a very minute level. This type of knowledge is most efficiently uncovered by combining your data analytics tool with an API similar to SlashDB. SlashDB allows you to address:
- Preference – knowing what your users like or dislike. Understanding what customers want helps you to become more responsive and intuitive toward user desires.
- Prediction – intuiting what your users will buy becomes increasingly easier when you begin to refine predictions based on past buying data.
- Personalization – collecting and continuously refining data on specific users allows you to produce hyperpersonalization marketing techniques, as well as ultra-specific campaigns. This increases sales, and more importantly brand loyalty.
- Promotion – even the most perfectly planned campaign will fail if it doesn’t reach the right users. Using data can help you determine the best channels to reach the right audience. Netflix used viewership data to determine who would receive email notifications on the Stranger Things release to great avail.
SlashDB: Your Solution to Data Collection and Extraction
Combining data analytics tools with SlashDB can help you construct more detailed and consumer-specific predictive models and applications (read How to Use SlashDB as Business Intelligence Tool for a step-by-step walk through on how to analyze the data you extract from SlashDB API). These predictive models and apps help businesses to fully gauge the desires and needs of their customers – enabling proactive customer support and, in turn, higher customer satisfaction (read SlashDB API for Data Science vs. Tools Like Oracle BI for more information on how SlashDB API provides unobstructed access to data that exceeds the abilities of many other tools, such as Oracle BI).
Key Features of SlashDB’s API Add-on
- SlashDB integrates with search engines, allowing users to access and retrieve data with ease, relying on their intuition to extract data rather than relying on complicated search queries.
- SlashDB automatically assigns each data resource a URL which allows data to be sourced from one machine to another, helping users navigate data and associate specific pieces of data more easily.
- With SlashDB, the content in your database becomes accessible through authorized web and mobile applications.
- SlashDB makes databases accessible in multiple forms including HTML, JSON, XML, and CSV.
- SlashDB makes working with databases as simple as working with plain files – with the added bonus that the data retains its integrity and authorizations while simultaneously staying up-to-date.
- SlashDB simplifies accessing relational data from R – read Accessing Relational Data from R — Simplified by SlashDB for more detailed information about this process.
- SlashDB can be used in data driven documents – read How to connect D3.js to relational databases using API for more information on using SlashDB with D3.js.
SlashDB has made it our mission to make data retrieval a highly accessible, searchable, and intuitive process. Unlike data extracts, SlashDB API is an automated, live link to your business’ databases, allowing for faster access to the most up-to-date data.
Contact us at SlashDB and we’ll work with you to find the best API add-on configuration for your business and data collection needs.